Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Adjusting to City Life

In the two months spent 'across the pond' in London, there are numerous changes that I have seen in myself regarding the surrounding and culture here, that would be extremely difficult to experience in another situation. One of the greatest of these changes is feeling familiar and comfortable with the hustle & bustle of not only Central London, but that of Richmond town.

Growing up in a small town, with not many places within walking distance, the idea of the city often times seemed like an unknown jungle with many unfamiliar factors, including the busy streets and packed sidewalks. If anybody had asked me to take the subway when travelling to Boston or New York City, I would have had a puzzled and confused look on my face, and would have solved the map with much difficulty.

However, at this time, I have noticed that the walks into Richmond which people busily brushing by you to get to their jobs on time or there nearest coffee shop have become part of a daily routine. Crowded streets are no longer something that is unfamiliar and foreign, but something that is part of my everyday life. This is also the case for mastering the underground tube lines. Now i find myself understanding the various patterns of the lines throughout Central London.

These adjustments will prove to pay huge dividends in my personal life. Going to school to be an accountant, there is a strong chance I may get a job in a large, busy, bustling city similar to that of London. Previously, I would have had to not only undergo the adjustment process of a new job, a new city, but also a new culture, that of the metropolitan area. However, now that I have lived in a metropolitan area for a significant period of time, the third adjustment that may be necessary will prove to be much easier, thanks to this trip abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment