Monday, November 8, 2010

The Maps are Still Confusing



Being in London I felt I would get use to the different modes of transportation and learn to realise driving a car would no longer be an option while I am abroad. Looking at the maps over at the rail station proves to be even more confusing then I would of thought. Though I feel one of the main reasons I get so confused at looking at the map is I don’t know the cities or towns that are around. I would be trying to find a certain town and it would be quite difficult because I don’t know the surrounding area.
To prove how challenging it was for me to use the rail system was when I tried to take the above ground to Kingston. Going on the journey alone I felt it would make sense to ask a worker at the window what platform I should go to and around what time I should be there. Well, even after asking for help from the worker, I still managed to get on the wrong train. A train that took me an hour nowhere close to where I had to be. I felt the reason for me going as far as I did was I kept thinking that the next stop would be Kingston, but that never ended up happening.
I feel the way I could have avoided that situation was to have known neighbouring towns to Kingston so I would have had an idea if I was close or not. But getting lost is all part of the adventure of being abroad. Being in London teaches me that the people in the culture have different ways of transporting themselves. Though back in the states we have the same modes of transportation, but for me growing up in my teenage years I always had a car or someone to drive me where I needed to go. Image from: http://www.emta.com/article.php3?id_article=496

No comments:

Post a Comment