Thursday, November 18, 2010

Becoming a Londoner



Perhaps the most important skill I have learned during my time in England is the ability to adapt. Since the UK is an English-speaking region, there was not a huge language barrier which made transitioning a bit easier. However, I still think there is enough of a difference that I have noticed changes in how I speak. Most of us have picked up the phrase “fair enough” and use it exhaustingly in conversation. When I go back home, people will probably give me funny looks when I ask if I can use their toilet rather than bathroom. I have even learned some basic French in preparation for my trip to Paris in a few weeks. People appreciate you making the effort as opposed to adopting the attitude that they should be able to understand you.
I also need to adapt my behavior in such small ways as how I cross the street. Most people learn pretty quickly to look the opposite way before crossing or have almost gotten hit by a car. Another thing that is different is that cars will literally not stop unless you are at a crosswalk. I am used to just strolling across at a corner and expecting cars to stop for me. Here I am left with the option of waiting for all the cars to go by or walking the 50 feet to a crosswalk. Walking on the sidewalk is an interesting experience as well. Sometimes when I am walking to close to the edge, I can feel the buses brushing by me because the street is so narrow. This has happened even recently.
The way to best learn about people is from people. It is one thing to read about a country in a book and another to interact with its people. We are lucky because we are not alone here. It is easy to meet people when you have a buffer friend. When people go overseas for work, it is likely they will not know anyone in that country. I have found that I like Britain the more I change myself to be like the people here. I do not know if I would have been able to do it on my own, but hopefully doing this trial run will make it easier if there is a next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment