Monday, November 8, 2010

That American Girl..



I've successfully completed the first half of my experience in London. I've grown accustomed to routines such as going into town 3 times a week to top up my phone, quick trips to the pub every now and then, and long exhausting days of traveling with my friends on the tube. In addition to all the excitement that I've enjoyed in London, I decided to further my European experience to really be acknowledged as that "American European Girl".

During my Fall break I went to visit the beautiful Paris and my family. Although I didn't do much because my aunt and uncle had to work,plus there were the "greves" (riots), I made the most out of my experience. I guess that's one thing I've learned throughout the first half of this abroad semester. People don't worry so much when things don't go as planned and are out of the ordinary. For example, Day 1 it took forever to get our ID cards but the school staff was very relaxed about it. In Paris, people are struggling to fill up at least half a tank of gas yet that doesn't stop them from moving and continuing with their day. They choose not to make a fuss and continue to be productive.

Aside from the famous Eiffel Tower and the famous opera theatre, Paris has its little factors that contribute to its uniqueness. The environment is literally like the movies, couples are everywhere showing their love and affection. Also, there is art being drawn and painted anywhere you turn your head. Unlike the "different" caricatures I usually find myself attracted to in the eminent NYC, the "artistes" in Paris have more technique "et une touche plus douce" ( a softer touch). During my stay I also picked up a little French, as well as memories and pictures, just to bring back home with me as a souvenir.

As I said earlier, everywhere I go, I want to leave the memories of that "American European Girl". Coming to a new environment with the noticeable American accent, yet leaving with the learned traditions of the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment