Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tourist or Citizen?



     I’ve been living in London, England for roughly a month now and am completely torn on my thoughts. I feel like I have seen and done many fun and interesting things. However, I know there is so much more to see and do.
     Every week seems to get better than the last. This past week I have toured central London (again), watched a professional rugby match, and toured neighboring towns and cities in search of a good time. All of these activities would fulfill most travelers’ wants. I, on the other hand, insist on focusing on the things I am missing out on. I have yet to visit Stonehenge or Hadrian’s Wall or even the Cliffs of Dover. These are tourist attractions that I have been dreaming about visiting for years and now they are surrounding me.
     But then I am brought back to reality. I am not merely a tourist in this country. As a student, I am living my life as an expatriate but also as a part of my college and community. Do I visit the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone Park just because I live in America? No, those are merely tourist destinations which take planning to visit. Instead, I choose to tour the community around me and the many shops, pubs, and restaurants which envelop my daily life. As much as I would love to tour the entirety of England and mainland Europe, I realize that there will be other times for that. I have found many friends and acquaintances who have been better tour guides for me than any professional could.

No comments:

Post a Comment