Saturday, September 11, 2010

Taking the Tube, Taking a Journey

The SEA program in London has opened up many opportunities. Being in a different culture with different people has really allowed me to expand my horizons. Each day as I walk outside I see many familiar faces, its mostly of the people I have met here and befriended. I also see faces of those whom I don’t yet know, allowing me to meet someone new every day. Everyone at the American International University is from a different country and there are only a few Brits here, thus letting me get to know not only the British culture but also the cultures, norms and accepted behaviors of people from all over the world. The range is over a dozen different countries, and getting to know other people allows me to shape my communication skills as well as learn about the cultures and be more efficient at my job if I ever had to go to one of those countries for a job. Everyone here is different, and it’s interesting to learn just how different the other people are from you.
All of us new to London got to share the experience of using the “Tube” a British word for what we call the subway. Looking at the map you find where you are and then you find where you’re going and it all seems fairly easy. However it’s really not. While trying to get to Greenwich, another Richmond student and I got lost, and that journey turned into an experience of its own. We went the wrong way, and ended up in the area of London where all the businesses and world’s largest banks are located. I found that interesting, being a business major student and ending up that area of London. The tube map showed one train going in six different directions, it was 8p.m. so in order to get to where we were going we had to ask other people for directions. We met two professional models who helped us out, which made me realize that living in a city like London provides limitless opportunities. You can meet almost anyone in any area of business strike up a conversation and make life lasting connections, and having connections in the business industry is very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment