Saturday, September 11, 2010

Experiencing The Unknown

I grew up and went to school in Arlington, Virginia, which is one of the most diverse places in the United States but in the first few days at Richmond I felt like I really got a firm grasp of reality. The kids I went to school with lived in the United States, so already had American traditions and we had common experiences whereas here at Richmond everyone has something new to bring to the table. I felt like I was dropped in one gigantic melting pot that was overflowing with culture. This shows that no matter how diverse your country or town may be, it is nothing like actually being in another country and living it day by day. It has made me aware of how sheltered I am back in the states and how I did not even make the attempt to learn about other cultures. As a business major I think going abroad has opened my view of the world around me and made me more of a risk taker.

No comments:

Post a Comment