Sunday, September 19, 2010

Across the Pond



Coming to Richmond has opened a new chapter in my life. Taking the leap across the pond to a new territory has proven to be one of the most life changing situations I have challenged myself to take on. The first several weeks put me in a situation where I felt it was necessary to put myself outside the box, and take in everything with a more open mind. I felt in order to have the fullest experience of going abroad I would need to be willing to go outside my comfort zone and socialize to make friends.
During the first week of orientation I had to get my laptop hooked up to the schools internet. Sitting in the library I noticed this kid Rakahn helping two other people hook up their internet. It was either wait in line over at the IT Desk or take a step out of my comfort zone and ask a complete stranger for help. Well ,I took the step and asked the complete stranger and made three great friends out of it, who in turn introduced me to more of their friends.
It was like a branching off effect. You know one person and that person knows several other people, who I get introduced to and then I meet those peoples’ friends. I am on a continuous basis meeting a new person each day or learning something new about a person’s culture. It has been so far a rewarding experience. As I have heard some people say from the thirteen of us that had taken the journey across the pond, I have never felt so connected or at home since coming to London. In all it is a great feeling being part of something extraordinary, whether that means trying a new cuisine, or taking a mile hike around London exploring, or even just being with friends all those and more are what counts and makes the journey incredible and life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment