Sunday, October 3, 2010

Home Away from Home



Soon after my arrival in Richmond I knew that I would feel right at home here. There are kids from all over the world here, and we all have the same common experience of adjusting to life in England. Although the food here makes Aramark look gourmet, the school itself is beautiful. There will be some nights when I’m walking back to the main building and I’ll look up at the castle like building (see picture) and be somewhat amazed that I’m here right now. If I can recommend anything to anyone considering traveling abroad to England, it would be to make sure you’re in shape before you do. I’ve done more walking in the past month than I did all summer. If I need anything, it is at least a ten minute walk. My mom always used to joke about how she walked to school, uphill both ways (which she has actually proven that she did). Being at the Richmond Hill Campus puts me in the same situation. Another thing that continues to amaze me is how small this school is. The campus consists of the one very large main building and a library. There are also about 500-600 freshman and sophomores, combined, on this campus. The upperclassmen are on another campus, but there are about the same number of them as well. When I explained to some of the kids here that my school at home is much bigger than this school they are somewhat amazed, but at the same time I know that WNEC is a small school. Although the campus here is very small, I do feel like I could come back here at any time and still feel welcome. Richmond will always be considered my home away from home and I will never forget this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment