Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Time for Reflections


Our time in London is seemingly over and the reflection process is in full swing. Over the last week, my friends from both Richmond and WNEC have been reminiscing about the three months we have spent here. I have to admit that I am extremely disappointed by our nearing departure. Richmond and London have become a home to me and I have met many new friends who I do not want to leave behind.
I have grown accustomed to many things here in London; from driving on the left side of the road to “chips” instead of fries. I’ve discovered rugby and pub crawls, and most importantly how to use public transportation instead of my car. While most Americans believe the English dislike us, it is just the opposite. People on the streets are friendly and even interested in where we are from.
The travelling was also a huge bonus to our study abroad trip. The English countryside is beautiful and their extensive history is visible in the form of castles and cathedrals. The country packs as much diversity as does the entire U.S. with clear differences between north and south. However, they can still come together as a country in certain situations such as football matches.
My notion of English food being bland was also erased. From fish and chips to steak and ale pie, nothing beat a delicious pub meal. Even the burgers could compete with ours!
As glad as I will be to go back to the states to see my family and friends, nothing could compare to the experiences I had while studying abroad in London. Being a guinea pig, I can honestly say that the SEA program was a great success and was worth the three months away from home!

No comments:

Post a Comment