Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's only goodbye for now...



Coming down to the last couple weeks I just think about how much I can’t wait to go back to America and what I am used to. But at the same time there is just a feeling of sadness of what I am going to miss when leaving Richmond.
Sure the London food was quite a cultural shock for me when I first showed up to Richmond, nothing like soggy noodles and the mystery meat, but it’s something I will miss. The cafeteria was really creative when coming up with the food selection but I feel in all honesty made me try something new. It was impossible to starve myself for the several months I was in Richmond and no college student wants to spend large amounts of money going out to eat every day. So trying the creative food helped me experience many different cultures at one sitting.
For when I did go out to eat, I will miss and at the same time I won’t miss it. Here is London, eating out is usually a waiting experience. You wait to get your order in, you wait to get your order, and you wait even longer until the wait staff notices your finished with your food. It’s not even a usual wait time, I mean you wait a long time for this process to finish up. So I won’t miss how long it took to order food and leave the restaurant, but I will miss the good conversations that struck up while waiting forever for the food.
I won’t miss the London drivers though who speed up and try to hit you when you’re walking across the street through the crossing area. Or the bus rides. The bus rides can get quite scary as well, as they weave through the seemingly narrow stripes of road and you wonder if the bus is really going to make it through the tight squeeze of cars on either side of the bus.
Most importantly though I feel I will mostly miss the people I befriend on and off campus. I feel the people that I have met had really made it the experience it was meant to be. And going home in a couple days I really start to wish I had more time to get to know them better. But with every door that closes, a new door opens. And I feel even though I am saying good bye to Richmond, it won’t be forever, in a sense I will hopefully keep intact with people and maybe even visit them.

No comments:

Post a Comment