Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Deep End



As I take one last look at the beautiful city of London I realize that time has passed by and I have completely adapted to the lifestyle. From the British accent to the cars driving on the wrong side of the road it has become “normal”. I can’t say that being here has given me a complete mind altering culture shock but more like a hiccup for what the world has to offer. For starters I knew the language so there wasn’t a language barrier and students here are not as culturally attached as I thought they might have been. Most students at Richmond University come from extremely wealthy upper class families. A person like myself that comes from a middle class family is in no comparison to some of these other students. My Richmond professor was the first to point it out to me and explained how some of the students come from very rich families therefore they do not put as much interest or effort in their studies because they have the confidence that family will provide. He then told me that this was something that I will someday have to deal with in the real world, different types of economical and social classes that may think very differently and have contrasting points of views. This is something I began to think about and how it would affect me in a globalized work place.

It’s not to say that my time spent here in London hasn’t provided me with a cultural experience. The people who have had an impact in my life in one way or another have also walked the same streets I do today. The Beatles, Shakespeare, and Newton all creative thinkers and risk takers have left their trace here in London. It is a city filled with history and mystery but it must be searched for. Culture does not always pop out sometimes you have to go out into the deep end to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment