Monday, October 15, 2012

The Football Way of Life

     Before leaving for London there was one thing that I knew I had to do before going back home.  This one thing that I wanted to do was to see a professional football game.  As fate would have it, I accidentally came across a match while surfing the internet and the match surprisingly wasn't sold out.  When I was looking further into purchasing tickets I found that they were actually priced fairly cheap.  It all worked out well and I had two reserved seats for a professional football match!  The match was England V.S. San Marino in a World Cup qualifying match.  The match was to be held at the legendary Wembley Stadium.  I had previously known that Football wasn't just a sport in the United Kingdom, but it was something that people lived and breathed for.
     As Mike and I arrived at the stadium we were in total shock at the amount of people walking towards the gate and also by the size of the stadium itself.  After we picked up the tickets from the window, we made our way up to the seats to soak up the entire experience before the game actually started.  As we sat in the seats and watched the other fans pack into the stadium I began to see that football definitely wasn't just a sport.  Friends, families, and strangers cheered and chanted in unison for one football team. It didn't matter what their nationalities were or what their beliefs were because the second England scored a goal Wembley Stadium erupted with cheers of satisfaction and joy!  Because football is in some ways a religion in the United Kingdom I thought it would be the best place to immerse myself in the London Culture.  Being around 85,000 thousand other people from so many different places opened my eyes to the impact that the sport of football has had on the world.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron and I saw England play France when we were there and it was absolutely a once in a lifetime experience. Glad to see you guys made it to a game!

    ReplyDelete