Tuesday, November 29, 2011


It has gotten to that time of the semester where it is Thanksgiving. Being here in England, this makes many of us homesick wanting to be with friends and family during this holiday season. Luckily, many of us had family of friends that came to visit us during this time. Both my mom and dad came to London during this week. We got to celebrate an unconventional Thanksgiving together in London. We spent Thanksgiving going to the Victoria and Albert Museum, shopping at Harrods, walking through Piccadilly and Leicester Square, and eating fish and chips. During my parents visit, we also went to Paris for two days and two nights for the weekend. It was great to be able to experience France. We went to the Louvre, to the top of the Eiffel Tower, saw the Arc de Triomphe, and got to experience fantastic French food like quiche, crepes, and croissants. When we arrived back in London, we saw more tourist attractions by visiting the Tower of London. I especially enjoyed showing my parents around Richmond on their last day here. It was nice for them to see where I have been living and learning for the past three months. My parent’s visit to Europe has also taught me a lot about myself. I have discovered that I have learned and grown so much as a person. Before coming to London, my sense of direction was almost nonexistent. Learning how to navigate the London transportation system made it a breeze navigating through Paris’s metro system and streets. Figuring out how to get myself around, even when in a different country that does not speak English, is something that I never thought I would be able to do before. It was such a strange feeling to have my parents depend on me to get them to the right places when I have been the one following them everywhere all of my life. My feeling of accomplishment is very pleasing and makes me really realize how I have grown here in so many ways that I could never have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment