Monday, October 10, 2011

Welcome to Monkey City

When I found out that I was selected to come to London, I was more than excited to be able to travel to surrounding countries as well as cities around Richmond.  Knowing that so many places were within my reach was a huge excitement.  What made it even better was knowing that the University put on trips throughout the semester at reasonable prices.  Trips were to all different places: Brighton, Camden, Gibraltar, Wales, Poland, Italy, etc.  All of which I wanted to travel to.  My first weekend trip with the University was this past weekend to Gibraltar.  Of course I was excited to see all of the “famous monkeys” although they are known as thieves.  We had to be at Heathrow Airport for six in the morning on Friday for our flight.  We were on our own to get there but I was not on my own.  There was two WNE students that also joined me, Lindsey and Chris.   We were thinking about taking the tube at five in the morning but was then asked by another student to join in on a cab with her, which we did.  It ended up only costing each of us around six pounds, not too bad!  It was to my surprise that landing in Gibraltar meant that we were going to land on the main road and they would have to close the road down to civilians in order for us to land.  Never heard or seen that one before!  After arriving and making our way to our hotel, we had some free time to explore.  Saturday, was the day in which we would make our way to The Rock, home of the monkeys!  It was a rather long hike to reach the monkeys but totally worth it.  It was to everyone’s surprise when one monkey came out of nowhere and jumped on Lindsey’s back.  Her reaction was priceless.  After watching that, I was rather hesitant about turning my back to them because I didn’t want one to jump on me next.  After enjoying the monkeys for the morning, we walked around for the remainder of the day and had to end our journey the next morning.  All in all, the trip was definitely worth it and I am looking forward to Poland as my next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment