Monday, October 10, 2011

The Highlands of Scotland


Last weekend, I embarked on a journey to Scotland with other members of the University of Richmond. However, I was the only student who signed up for the trip from the Richmond campus. All of the other students were juniors and seniors and lived and took classes at the Kensington campus. I was already thrown into a situation where I didn’t know anybody. I managed to get over this when most of the students on the trip went around to different pubs the first night and had a good time. Soon after that we were all friends. As for Scotland itself, it is so far my favorite place I have traveled. The trip to Scotland consisted of a bus tour through the Highlands of the country. In the Highlands, there are steep, jagged edged mountains with rivers and streams flowing in between. Most of the land is uninhabited which allows for some of the best nature shots you can imagine. One of my favorite stops on the trip was when our bus went to the Isle of Skye. Our bus stopped alongside the road and we walked out right up to the edge of the cliff. The view from there was spectacular. Out across the view was the ocean and mainland Scotland. To the sides you could see how high up it was and the couple hundred foot drop to the rocky waters below. You cannot find this in the United States especially near Springfield. While our tour guide drove up, down and around these mountains, he was telling us about the history of Scotland and how the country because who they are now today. Myself having Scottish ancestry wanted to learn more about the country where and how my ancestors lived. The Scottish people are all about living free and for the people themselves. A man named William Wallace is mostly to thank for helping Scotland gain its freedom. Mel Gibson’s, “FREEDOM!!” yell from the movie Braveheart was referenced many times throughout the tour. Scotland is a country for the people and has been throughout its history. This is why there has never been a King or Queen of Scotland, yet there were Kings and Queens of the Scots. This trip was my first major trip outside of London so far. It is my favorite spot that I have traveled so far in my life. I will hope to be taking a trip to Ireland in a few weeks and further explore the rest of Europe while I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment