Sunday, September 25, 2011

One Man, Two Guvnors

I have now been in London now for almost a month. In these past few weeks I have had a huge reality check. What started off feeling like a semester long vacation, has now changed greatly. With classes in full swing I have been having less free time and more homework and studying time. But class does not always have to be a bad thing. On Thursday, September 15th, all the SEA students attended a play at the National Theater in London as a part of our Management class. The play we saw was called One Man, Two Guvnors and it greatly changed my view of theatre. I was always under the impression that plays were boring, but this play changed my opinion. The play began slowly and in the back of my mind all I could keep thinking was “here we go again, another boring play.” But once the story started picking up I could not stop laughing. The main character, Francis Henshall, was driving himself crazy trying to be a personal assistant for two different bosses, or “guvnors.” At the same time he was trying make sure that neither guvnor found out he was working for the other. I found it hilarious the mess that Francis was getting himself into trying to do errands for both guvnors, while trying to keep his secret. With Francis going nuts and the other comical events popping up throughout the play, I was very entertained. I was so mesmerized by the play that it felt like it was only an hour long, but in reality it was two and a half hours. If not for class then I would never have found the world of comical theatre, and my opinion of plays would have remained negative. Though most people view class as always being a negative thing, I was happy that this class gave me the opportunity to see such a funny and entertaining play.

No comments:

Post a Comment