Sunday, December 9, 2012

Feels Like Home



As the semester is coming to an end and I am down to my last week in London, I couldn't help but feel more homesick than I already was.  There is one thing that I have been seeing more of in London that is hitting home to me.  The Christmas decorations, music, and food items have started to make me miss home and the Christmas time with my parents.  I made it through Thanksgiving time without missing home too much, but that was because Thanksgiving is non-existent in England.  I didn't know what to expect when Christmas time came around in London because of all the cultural differences that I have seen since being here.  It turns out that the Christmas traditions and festivities are very similar to the traditions and festivities in the United States.  There are a few major things that I have been seeing the past few days that have really made me think about my home and my family.
            As I was riding the bus back to the University from downtown Richmond, I looked out the window and saw a few families decorating their Christmas trees in the windows.  At that point it finally hit me as to how homesick I really was.  Seeing a family put up a tree really made me think about putting the lights and ornaments on my tree at home.  Another thing that made me feel homesick was the Winter-Wonderland festival in Hyde Park.  I went with a few kids from Richmond and I ice skated for the first time.  Hearing the Christmas music playing and seeing families having a good time made me wish that my parents could be here with me.  Although I am feeling more homesick as my time here dwindles down, It makes me happy to know that the traditions and customs in England during Christmas time are very similar to my own.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures. I understand, I too have been in this position..Did you make it home for the next year?

    ReplyDelete