Sunday, December 2, 2012

Attention All Travelers!


This weekend fourteen of the sixteen SEAers embarked on an end of the semester trip to Porto, Portugal. It was truly unforgettable as we made new memories and reminisced about the past. We randomly picked Porto as our final destination because someone found inexpensive flights and knew it would be warmer there than in Richmond. Porto turned out to be an incredible city bursting with life, history, and natural beauty. As we walked towards our hostel to unpack and sleep for the night, I had a feeling Porto was going to be one of the highlights of my study abroad experience. For the first time in my life I was going somewhere I knew absolutely nothing about and had zero expectations of as a result. It taught me that good things can come out of taking a chance. This weekend has helped me put the phrase “where there’s a will there’s a way” into perspective. For example, when we got to the hostel I discovered my payment never went through. This meant they had no record of my reservation. I stayed calm and worked with the staff to assess my situation and come up with viable options. In the end I was able to get a bed and stay with everyone else.
The first full day, Friday, we took a tour of the city. The guide told us the history of Porto and showed us the sights. I was very impressed by all the spectacular views Porto had to offer. The hills made a unique skyline unlike any other. At the end of the tour we were shown a good place to eat where we all ordered a traditional dish hailed as the best sandwich in the world called “francesinha.” After devouring its succulent layers of bread, ham, steak, sausage, cheese, and egg under a secret sauce, I would have to agree. Everything else I ate in Porto was delicious as well, making it the tastiest city I have ever been to.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment