Thursday, September 6, 2012

Adapting to a New Life in England




Coming to London I did not quite know what to expect. I had never stayed in a foreign country or even met many people that had grown up somewhere other than in the U.S. or on a military base. Even though it has been only a little over a week so far, I now know students from Bosnia, to Germany, and to here in England. It is a great experience because it has allowed me to, not only meet a new friend, but a new culture as well. It was overwhelming at first; I missed my friends and family back home and craved some familiarity. But as the time has gone on I have been able to move pass this; to broaden my horizons and learn about my new friends. In fact just yesterday I was playing football with nearly a dozen international kids. Even a simple experience such as this though showed the difference of culture as the gameplay focus shifted from individual skill to one centered on teamwork and finesse.
Traveling around has also been a learning experience for me where the underground and street traffic have forced me to slow down and adapt to a new lifestyle. Due to the close proximity of traffic to the sidewalk I have learned to be more aware of my cultural surroundings because if you do not, you will be hit by a car. This includes looking both ways when crossing the street because it is still a challenge to remember which way to look for oncoming cars.
The tube is an entirely different experience. I had never been on a subway much before coming here but now I see the convenience and necessity of it. Already I have thrice gone to London by taking the District Line into the center of the city. Here, I am able to observe the daily interaction of homegrown Englishmen and women which further deepens my understanding of the culture.
 By semester’s end, I hope to fully understand and appreciate this unique culture and dismiss all preconceived stereotypes so my experience can be more rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. Many single individuals worry about assembly new individuals and creating buddies prior to they depart for his or her new journey. Nevertheless, this wasn't the situation for Emily Davis who, prior to she still left the United states to work in London, signed up having a London-based dog-walking company near her new place. "I knew that might produce possibilities immediately for me to obtain out and meet individuals," Emily describes.
    Graham Copsey, Director at a New Life Abroad Limited for Irish Immigration To America or Irish Immigration To Canada or anywhere else and provide all Nationality laws and immigration details online at www.anewlifeabroad.ie .

    ReplyDelete